About Me

My photo
Born 1969 England. Arrived in Australia 1972. Single. No children. Partially disabled from severe osteoporosis, pituitary gland tumor (benign), myopathy and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (hypermobile in every joint). 18 yrs caring for my quadriplegic cerebral palsy friend, Rob. Ceramic artist www.sam-davies.blogspot.com

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

X-RAY DAY
(09-04-2013)
 

 
Outside waiting for a taxi ride to the hospital for an X-ray of my hips and spine. Took two hours to get ready. The twist in my hip is so bad now that I have my first bad pressure sore from sitting in my wheelchair. But I am not going to bed. It is just too painful. Hopefully I will not have to wait too long for a planned partial tendon release of my hip area. Everyday I wait feels like forever.
 
 
With the help of about five people I was hoisted up and wheeled over to the X-ray table. A big thank you to the staff involved at Nepean Hospital. Sam phoned several days before hand to warn staff that I was going to turn up; when and my physical condition and challenges that would be faced. As a result we did not have to wait too long for staff availability and they planned before I arrived. This was about the first time the sling was the right size as they came armed with two sizes and staff arrived who actually knew how to use the hoist. It made a world of difference for all parties.
 
 
We were happy the X-ray table was a lot wider than the one in Darwin. So though in a lot of pain and in my usual fetal position it made rolling me slightly on my side a lot less traumatic. Sam, while propped up by a crutch and dosed with pain killers, wore a lead apron and held my legs still while the images were taken. The staff did a great job getting me back into my wheelchair. Sam and I were very grateful having already spent ages that morning getting ready.
 
 
Afterwards, Sam and I made a trip to the hospital cafe to recover where I had one of my favourite dishes...chips with gravy.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment