About Me

My photo
Born 1969 England. Arrived in Australia 1972. Single. No children. Partially disabled from severe osteoporosis, pituitary gland tumor (benign), myopathy and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (hypermobile in every joint). 18 yrs caring for my quadriplegic cerebral palsy friend, Rob. Ceramic artist www.sam-davies.blogspot.com

Friday, April 12, 2013

A DAY OUT AT LAST!!!
 


Went to a nearby major shopping centre yesterday (Thursday 11th April) and had a lovely bowl of spaghetti bolognaise and garlic bread followed by a tasty cappuccino. It's my first trip out in months apart from the wheelchair test drive a couple weeks ago. All's well with the electric wheelchair at the moment after having it for four years.
 
Though we got to the shops driving our own transport - my electric wheelchair and Sam on a mobility scooter - we had to take a taxi home. Sam's loan scooter stopped in the middle of a main road at the traffic lights and would not move. Some pedestrians pushed him to safety.

But we had a good time despite ending the day breaking down - but break downs happen - and did not rush around. Not that we could rush around. My brain damage makes me see things constantly so most of the time I don't see a lot of things that are real around me. So I follow Sam closely behind his scooter while he drives very slowly and watches me in his rear mirror. He has to constantly instruct me where I can and can't go. DO NOT MOVE being the most repeated. I tend to just take off without looking where I am going so if I am not told when the coast is clear I'd run someone over or get run over by a car. It's not the most relaxing time for Sam when he has to take me out having to be constantly alert over my driving safety. He hopes to one day get a powerful mobility scooter designed for two where I can sit behind him, not side by side, and then go cruising without the stress.
 
Sam was hoping the day out would help me sleep. Not so, unfortunately, even though my back was killing me (X-rays taken on Tuesday show I've started developing calcification of my lower spine probably due to my immobility) and despite feeling exhausted I was hyped up. When I went to sleep Thursday evening it was only for three hours and I've been up ever since. It's just turned Saturday, five minutes past midnight!! Sam feels like he needs tooth-picks to keep his eyes open.
 
We bought 'iPad for Dummies' while shopping; and a hands free telephone so we can have a land line again. We've not had a land line since January 2009 and Sam hates leaving me at home without a phone. And picked up a stack of DVDs mostly for $2 each and some $5 each!!! Some classics we've both been wanting.

Then we went food shopping so I could experience some of the things we had hoped to do together since arriving in NSW but, due to electric wheelchair problems and having spent so much time in hospital or stuck at home, I've missed out on. So the spaghetti was also a bit of a celebratory meal and the DVDs a treat.


No comments:

Post a Comment