About Me

My photo
Born 1969 England. Arrived in Australia 1972. Single. No children. Partially disabled from severe osteoporosis, pituitary gland tumor (benign), myopathy and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (hypermobile in every joint). 18 yrs caring for my quadriplegic cerebral palsy friend, Rob. Ceramic artist www.sam-davies.blogspot.com

Sunday, March 10, 2013

ANOTHER EXCITING...NOT...WEEKEND
 
Though relatively healthy.
 


Friday and Saturday had Turkish bread with mushrooms cooked in their own juices, tomato and avocado. Couldn't eat the sweet corn and snow peas as my teeth do not meet anymore so very hard to chew without choking. The raw corn and peas are Sam's. Not being able to sleep in a bed due to pain and inability to remain in position I spent 12 years sleeping and living in my electric wheelchair which resulted in my lower jaw moving forward so now I have a misaligned jaw and have to stick to soft foods or finely cut foods depending on their texture. I do not have to have everything pureed.
 
Actually, pureed food increases my risk of choking in my case, as it's too soggy so I can not manage the texture with my tongue that I do not have total control over when it comes to moving food around in my mouth. While in hospital I am always battling to convince speech pathologists that I can eat solid foods. Once I was not allowed any solid food for three weeks no matter what I or Sam said. As a result my jaw became weaker and gave me jaw ache when I started eating solid food again. I really do hate being treated like an idiot. I do know what chokes me and what doesn't. And I especially dislike it when Sam, who's been caring for me for 19 years, is ignored. We generally only get asked what I need when some drama happens like I refuse to eat my food or I have a choking scare.
 
 


Over the past few weeks Sam's been making us greek style plain yoghurt fruit shakes. Bullet blenders are great. Add emu oil, fish oil, coconut oil, cod liver oil (Vit D. Not getting much sunlight these days) and ground chai seeds (Sam grinds the seeds as they are too expensive pre ground) and a crumbled magnesium tablet to help increase calcium absorption. This helps me keep my weight down being confined to a bed. I never get constipated when at home. I have a piece of chocolate daily.
 


This evening's meal was some nicely cooked Basmati rice cooked in chicken stock Sam saves when he roasts chickens with added extra virgin olive oil. It wasn't expensive as he picked up 5kgs of the stuff half price a couple weeks ago. To make ends meet he always looks out for sales and has managed to halve our food bill. And now that we have moved from the Northern Territory of Australia, to Australia's NSW we can get fresh fruit and vegetables every Wednesday from a local market. More variety, fresher, cheaper and more available; saving even more.

It's been really hard feeding me as I've got to be in just the right position to lower the risk of choking. Sam's only had to whack me on the back a couple times when I've choked over the nine weeks that I've now spent bed ridden lying only on my left side.

My eye's not so puffy now as Sam's made a pillow roll out of cloth and pinned it to my sheets so it doesn't shift and rub on my eye.

Apart from the usual IPad playing that has been my exciting life for the past three days. Besides not being able to wear urodomes at the moment and further breakdown of my butt and groin skin. The problematic weeing situation has been mostly sorted out by Sam's ingenuity and can be viewed on the medical site linked to the right of this page. Or 
www.cerebralpalsymed.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment